Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Software for Analyzing Steel Rod Table Base 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanf1027

Structural
Mar 25, 2009
US
I am analyzing a table for a friend that has a base made of 3/4" diam. steel bars, with a 1" thick glass top. The base consists of one piece of bar that has many 90 degree bends, and stability may be an issue. Risa 3D and other programs can do this, but I was wondering if there is software out there for furniture, that may be easier to model connections like the table sitting on the floor or rubber pads between a glass top and metal base.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you truly need that level of sophistacation, a heavy duty multi-physics type program (ansys, nastran, algor, etc.) is probably what you would need. That would allow for an explicit buckling analysis if geometry is very complicated.

However, I would think that RISA is adequate to use, just put point loads to transfer the glass load, and appropriate boundary conditions. run a second order analysis with a adequate member segmentation to capture p-small delta, and you should be fine.

Thanks structSU10. Risa is working pretty well, but the difficulty is trying to model the rubber bumper
connections of the glass top to the base members. I feel it is incorrect to connect the glass plates directly to the base. I've been using a very short link model with the properties of neoprene; very low modulus, and making them compression only members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back