Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for public projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaic

Computer
Mar 31, 2003
GB
I am an electronic engineer turned to a software engineer. After about 10 years I am now used to widely available free collaboration, project management, bug control and versioning software for the software development processes.
Some of them are being developed as open source projects; by community for the community.

After reading the tread:
Examples of "good" engineering program management? (thread768-21444)
I learned that in other industries the situation is not as rose. So obviously (I concluded) programmers will write programs for themselves (i.e. their own industry), because that is the area that they understand best, but not so easily to others (i.e. other industries).
Then I started playing with the idea to develop some software to fill in the gap.
However I noticed that in other industries there is no equivalent to something like an open software projects management.
If such phenomenon exists? Is it called “public project”, “non-profit project” or what?
How does it sustain itself?
Are there any successful stories that we can read about, and learn how they succeeded?
I am curious about above because many of the software nowadays come with a clause stating: “free for non-commercial use” so would be mine, and such a “public project” or “non-profit project” world certainly qualify.

Or, am I missing something and the said concept is not possible in any other industry that the software one, for one reason or another?

Any comments welcome…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back