Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SOFTWARE OR METHOD TO COMPARE SHAPES(CURVES)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaggioli

Mechanical
Dec 9, 1999
US
<br>I have various shapes for form tools that are now receiving a secondary process.<br>This secondary process does not seem to be applied evenly to all surfaces.<br>It does how ever always go on the same if the setup is the same.(the set up is easily controlled). So here is my question does anyone&nbsp;&nbsp;know of a software. That will take the resultant shape and the original shape , compare the two to the theoretical perfect shape, then tell me what the original shape should look like to obtain a some what closer version of the perfect shape. All of the forms are<br>actually curves if this makes any difference <br><br>Thanks in advance<br><br>Scott Paggioli<br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Spaggioli,<br><br>Almost any CAD system these days can help you with this if you don't have too many to figure out.&nbsp;&nbsp;Essentially you could plot the curves out next to each other with a common origin or what ever is appropiate, drop normals between the curves, or between proportional points, then add the difference to the original curve... re-spline it, and you should be damn close.<br><br>Blow up the size if you do it manually, then scale it back.<br><br>High end CAD systems with language driven ways to interface with them are easy to write routines for.<br><br>Plating or painting or what ever sometimes have &quot;corner&quot; effects that you'll have to extrapolate for, or if they are well understood, calculate for.&nbsp;&nbsp;It didn't sound like this was your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.<br>

LTD,<br>You are correct, that is how I handle it today.I was<br>looking for something slightly more automatic.<br><br>thank you,<br>scott paggioli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back