Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Software Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRG

Mechanical
Sep 28, 2002
US
I am pricing AutoDesk products and there is only one reseller in my area. Looking on the Internet, I can find pricing 20% less than what the local reseller wants for AutoDesk’s Architectural Desktop and Building Mechanical software; however, they will not sell outside their district. Can anyone give me advice how to get the best price for these products? Has there been a problem with purchases outside of a reseller’s district and then using it within a different district than purchased?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can't be-- what happens if you move after you bought it ?
Do you have a friend in that area ? Order it to his address
and pay with plastic.

If it is building related SW, Does it takes local laws / regulations into consideration ?

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

I have found several interesting ways to get around high software costs.

The first is the absolute best.
look for a seller that sells not the latest upgrade of software. You can settle for ver 13.8 if 14.2(e.g. only) is out on the market. I did this with Adobe PDF writer. version 5 is selling for $300-$400. I bought version 4 and it cost me $100 and it works great I found a seller of the software in a local computer paper and allot of shops have tons of software they want to unload. (not so much cad though but worth the look). One place I go has a 10 page print off list of software at up to 2/3's off. (not just cad either)

If you are using it for personal use you can take a course at a local college and at the end of some of the courses you can get a full version at a student price. But check with the teacher. If you own an office I wouldn't recommend it though.

There is always a trade or upgrade discount. If you have a registered copy of something then go the seller and ask if they will take it as a trade in. They usually only need the serial number of the one you have.

If you find any other ways please post
regards ADOGNAMEDGROMET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back