Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

software recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechbull

Computer
Nov 28, 2005
US
when i create a new product it starts with paper to pencil usually maybe start off modeling
anyway we keep something called a design history file so that when we are audited by outside customers they can see the history blah blah blah
in it it contains screen shots of prototypes maybe a dimensioned drawing vendor emails any correspondence with customer
currently we keep all this in a 3 ring binder - real annoying very messy and not always sorted by dates if dates were kept
i was wondering if anybody does something similar to this and if you use software to keep it all together

in it would be could be

pro-e models- or screen shots
excel files
emails
faxes
word docs
jpegs
auto cad files
etc....

thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ProjectLink

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

SmarTeam does this stuff (it's a PLM) and works well with office documents. Some problems with CAD (especially ProE) but they improved from the version 2.5. It's expensive.

Hora

i did soome more digging and i should have mentioned i work for a medical company which menas FDA can audit us at anytime
but found out windchill recently came out with some thing for this specifically

thanks everyone

I was speaking with a little sarcasm, but was serious about the folders. If paper copies are sufficient for the FDA, why wouldn't time-stamped electronic copies be equally sufficient, considering the majority of the items you listed originate in an electronic format.

Or am I missing an implied requirement?

<tg>

probably would telecomguy

1 prob is i took over a position that has been filled supposedly 14 times in the last 6 years

needless to say the files here are a total F***ing disaster
14 prior guys who knew nothing about pro-e functionality
there was a config.pro with nothing but mapkeys LOTS but
no config.sup
files saved to local hard drive, server and other local hard drives on other pc's and on and on.
been here 3 months and finally feel i have the pro-e situation cleaned up
I understand why 14 people have passed thru here in that amount of time and i will soon become 15 but i dont want to leave a mess for the next guy
so if i can get the company to spend money and catch up with the times then i think that would be best
also trying to get him to buy intralink

Hi
I would agree with telecomguy. Scan what you have name it and put it in folders.
Maybe it is most important to do it on regular basis. 15 minutes at the end of the work day should be enough.
When you save a file put date in the name, and put date on every paper you fill out by hand.
I am in naval architecture and have similar needs. This system works for me. No software can tidy up the mess on my desk(top) :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back