Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software to Create Flow Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ711

Chemical
Apr 3, 2012
US
Any recommendations on basic software to create or modify flow diagrams?

I honestly do not want to learn CAD, either 2D or 3D. I'm a ChE, and we tend to stay away from too much detail.

It would be nice if I could import a DWG, but that's not necessary. I can already export my DWGs to JPG format if I need to.

I would like to be able to take that DWG or JPG, add a few lines, valves, pumps, whatever, and then save that back as a JPG, something I could email to others for final design. The drafting department is much better for detailed drawings. I just want to be able to get my design modification message across, using a somewhat simple diagram.

Thanks,

CJ711

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your comments ...

I also have used Excel often to create something from scratch. I've never tried to use it to modify an existing JPG or DWG, but I don't think it would be good at that.

I have also used PowerPoint many times to enhance photos for display, or to add text to them. I guess that "Shapes" could be beneficial to modify an existing JPG process flow or P&ID diagram.

I am pretty much "expert" level with PhotoShop, but it's over-kill for this.

I was hoping there was a nifty package designed specifically for Refinery/ChemPlant Tech support people, or plant design ChE's, to put together a Process Flow diagram, or a modified P&I, quickly.

CJ711

Have you looked at VISIO? They have a variety of templates including process engineering: pumps, columns, heat exchangers, valves, etc.

I bought CadWorx P&ID which does a really good job, but by the time you buy it and the underlying AutoCAD you are talking about $10k. It allowed me to accept a $300k project, but the out of pocket was really painful. I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't had the obligation to generate P&ID drawings to their spec in a preliminary step in the process. I never would have been able to do it Excel, Powerpoint, PhotoShop, etc. A friend of mine has the Visio add in for P&ID (I don't know where he got it, I couldn't find it when I looked), but the drawings he generates with it are very rudimentary and wouldn't have gotten me this project.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

I use Visio. You can import AutoCAD drawings (dwg) or any dxf. Easy copy-n-paste to other Microsoft Office products. Making PowerPoint stuff is especially well-integrated. I can draw anything in Visio (including imported CAD files), select all, copy, and then paste into a blank PowerPoint slide. It seems to always fit just right.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

>>> by hand and scan it
Actually, I had given that some thought. In the long run, I do think I'll be more efficient and get the design message across better by using some drawing program.

>> I use Visio.
I think I'll go with Visio. I've used it a small bit before, but I have used other Office products a tremendous amount, and the menus for Visio look very similar to the other Office products. The downside is that I'll need at least Visio Professional (about $400) in order to have the refinery/chem_plant templates and symbols.

Thanks for the comments. Any other brainstorms, please let me know.

CJ711

I tend to agree with europipe that when just considering total time spend, hand is fastes.

However, you can with vision create small sketches. However, for e.g. manipulation on a scanned drawing or an existing autocad file i dont know.... I think hands would win "hands down"....

Best regards

Morten

Just make the job done..Do you want to impress others or to make the information simple, visible, accesible and understandable. ??

Excel, visio, Cad, PVElite etc....Go ahead

Regards

Gee, thanks...

How about if I want to do both?

I am very good with software, lousy with free-hand. I can work faster, probably more accurately, with good software.

If the end result looks better with software, and does impress others, all the better. Even engineers appreciate the method of delivery of the answer, as opposed to only the answer.

If you want to impress people use Google Sketchup for free 3D work. Great tutorials on how to run it. Download objects others have made to make your quick presentation.
I have visio. It will get the job done but not really any faster than ACAD.
I find having both pieces of software makes it hard to run either one because you forget what command goes with each one.
If you get visio the most important tip is hold down the shift key when you draw to make straight lines.
It took me forever to learn that.

Regards
StoneCold

You can download free of charge Draftsight 2D. Eventho., I still use ACAD 2004, when I get a newer version of an ACAD drawing, I open it with draftsight 2D which is very similar to ACAD programs and then save them in ACAD 2004 for further work.

Visio is the best I have come across. After you make a few you can just open them up and re-arrange. There is even excel boxes that you can populate with equipment data and then export.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back