Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Software to improve the geometry of STL or STEP meshes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCform

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2016
IT
Hi All

I have to export my solidworks model as STEP or STL models, to use in FEM analysis in another software, since I want to do 2D axissymetric analysis, it has to cut the geoemtries, and .... as a result, you know how the triangular mesh of the CAD model would be cut by a plane?? just arbitrarily? it might give very poor results, for that I should mesh geometry before importing in FEM analysis, so Solidworks gives me option to make a more dense mesh on STL model , BUT this mesh is for example for a cylinder, is very dense in the perimeter and very large in the height, I mean very long triangles that are set beside each other very tight

getfile.aspx

I wish it's clear in this photo

but I need it more dense that if you cut it with a plane it doesn't give a bad result

the FEM software has a poor feature for geometry mesh , before doing the FEM mesh , but I need a better one, any one has experience ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not just take the complete model into the FEA software and mesh there? The mesh control is certainly better in the FEA software.

the mesh I am mentioning is not the FEA mesh, it's the geometry mesh , that is produced in STL or STEP files to define the geometry

ok , but , you can't immagine how bad is the quality of surface mesh in the FEM software, when I appliy 2D axissymetric , big parts of the model disapear, due to bad intersection with the symmetry plane , thank you for your attention

but I wait for others to see what they say, I also would appreciate to hear your reason that why it is a poor way, if you wished to say that

Create drawing of the part/assembly. Create a section view of the area you want to import. Create a sketch that copies all the lines. Then export that out as a DXF. Since you are only running a 2D simulation a DXF should work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back