Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Softwares recommendation for constructing 3-D joint models of knee from Planar X-rays

Status
Not open for further replies.

saja11

Bioengineer
Aug 2, 2019
FI
Need recommendations for constructing 3-D joint models of knee from Planar X-rays..what softwares are best for detailed modelling of knee joints (including ligaments, tendons, cartilage and meniscus) from planar x-rays??? Don't want to use image segmentation methods in MATLAB..not perfect in coding
Secondly need to do semi automated segmentation of ligaments of knee from MRI...Which software is recommended?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a few major commercial codes out there: SimpleWare, Mimics, and Amira. On the open source side, 3DSlicer is an option for segmentation. If you wish to try cutting edge stuff, SimpleWare has come out with automated segmentation methods (using machine learning) developed by Nvidia. You could also go directly with Nvidia Clara and build the whole process yourself but you will need to buy some of their fancy hardware.

As usual, each option has its pros and cons depending on your level of skill, resources available to you, the ultimate purpose, support from management, etc.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Thanks for your reply..I have worked with CT-Scans in MIMICS/3-D Slicer but I am unsure that segmentation from x-rays is possible in them?Do I need any software which can buid statistical shape models from x-rays?

A CT scan is constructed from multiple planar x-rays. If you have only one x-ray, then you have ZERO information about the 3rd dimension. You need a minimum of 2 x-rays in orthogonal directions to get the minimum set of information for 3D reconstruction

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

MRI's are a great data source. Creating 3D surface models from a stacked MRI image set is easily achieved by many commercially available software. We have had immense success is Synopsys's SImpleware. This might be directly relevant to you:
We have used CT scans and MRI's to recreate knee models and spinal models (lower back). Simpleware tools were used to input MRI's and based on its grey scale values the tool was able to differentiate ligaments, bones, minuscus, and muscles. Additionally, we then took it a step further and assigned the right modulus of elasticity to the discretized structure based on the Hounsfield Unit scale. We used a software called Bonemat to perform the mapping and used Abaqus for FE analysis.
X-rays inherently have limited information and will need manual intervention/processing unlike the use of MRI + automated tools.

Good luck.

Moduli Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back