Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Soil anchors for proposed dwelling tucked in to hillside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyD

Structural
Jan 28, 2011
US
I post a lot in the 'structural engineering general discussion' forum, but this is probably more appropriate here.

Please see attached concept. I am assisting a residential architect with this proposed dwelling. The foundation wall is 14' tall, with full height backfill at the rear wall, tapering down along the sidewalls. Client is an experienced block layer, so I sized a heavily reinforced 12" CMU wall (with RetainPro) to resist the lateral earth pressures, and will call for granular backfill behind the wall. The lateral force at the top of wall is ~1500 lb/ft (assuming granular mat'l). The location of the stairs along the rear wall going up the the dwelling above is a conflict for resisting the lateral forces with diaphragm blocking in the first few floor joists spaces...I'm concerned about the best way to resist that lateral force.

Would soil anchors be appropriate in a situation like this? Perhaps several rows of anchors at mid-height and at top of the rear wall, and perhaps a few at the sidewalls too where the backfill is high? The client did some exploratory excavating and encountered some weathered bedrock material.

What the the best online resource for learning about soil anchor capacities and installation/connection to CMU?

Thanks!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d239ea1a-c960-4190-b7aa-43ece7bf60ee&file=concept.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back