Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Soil Classification and Group Index Spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stateman

Materials
Jun 4, 2016
US
This is a form designed for calculating Soil Classification and Group Index - AASHTO M 145. There is a tab at the bottom of the form for plotting your flow line - AASHTO T 89, Method A. I obtained the "Soil Description" from the Wyoming DOT's Materials Testing Manual (MTM). The soil description will be populated once the required, yellow cells' information is input. The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD) prefers us to draw the flow line by hand.

It is my hope this will be an aid to people in highway construction.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fb17af84-0567-4d43-b694-a8f43071832d&file=Soil_Classification_and_Group_Index.xlsx
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would help if a separate instruction sheet is available. For instance one might decide to use his own local name for the soil tested,

The title should be one that is easily changed.

Some, like me w3ould prefer to be able to change anything, rather than being lokced into the original sheet.

It looks like a lot of work went into it.

oldestguy,

There was quite a bit of time to get it right. That is why I decided to protect the form. I can see where you're coming from, however. It is nice to add your personal touches to the spreadsheet, like one's logo, etc. One part of me wants to leave it protected, but the other says to go ahead and - let the ones that can - modify it the way they see fit.

I have unprotected the spreadsheet. The "Description of Classification" info is input by IF Statements. To see these, unhide rows 65-91. You'll be able to delete these or over-write them if you prefer. Remember, though, there is a comment row you can address info as well as the "Type" underneath "Material Information" (top, right of form).

I must say, "I enjoyed making this spreadsheet!". It's my hope it will be an asset to many. By the way, I will also attach the source of my study on this subject.

Best regards!
stateman

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7d7cce54-3f6b-443b-a0e4-14889f463bae&file=Soil_Classification_and_Group_Index.xlsx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back