Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soil Classification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnieb

Nuclear
Jan 14, 2003
GB
Can anyone point me to a Design code or information source that has soil classification values, such as Bulk Modulus etc for a wide variety of soil types.

Many Thanks

bb

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check the Navy Design Manual DM-7, the ASTM standard for classification of soils for engineering purposes (Unified Soil Classification system), and one of the more accepted texts on soils classification and testing such as Lambe and Whitman's Soil Mechanics.

Washington State produces a Soil Survey for each of the counties. I remember seeing tables of engineering properties of each of the soil types and uses. I'm not sure if other states do this, but you might want to check it out.

Dirtsqueezer points out a useful source but ascribes it, I think, to the wrong agency. Throughout the US the federal Natural Resource Conservation Service, NRCS, (fomerly the Soil Conservation Service) produces Soils Reports by County for all 50 States. Your County Ag department will usually have a copy and NRCS has many small regional offices you can visit. Many of these reports are no longer in print so if you get a copy HANG ON TO IT !

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back