Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

soil compressive strength 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon4

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2002
US
Does anyone have a simple process to test compressive strength of soils in the bottom of a post hole, dug for an attached deck. Building codes are dictating a 20" minimum hole size unless comrpessive stregth of the soil is determined.

Thanks

Gary

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If not a lot of holes just go 20". If a lot of holes find yourself a dynamic cone penetrometer and someone to interpret the results of its use.

Techmaximus

I would have to agree with the 20". A DCP or a pocket penetrometer, as mentioned by techmaximus, will be enough for whoever is requiring the alternate testing. The problem is, it'll cost you somewhere on the order of $500 for the simple fact that a geotech firm is involved. That's cheap for most construction projects, but it sounds like you're a little smaller scale. For the small amount of extra concrete and time it'll take, it might be worth the money just to dig.

Don't tell my boss I told you this.

;)

Cheers.

thanks for the replies.
I agree, boring the 20" and pouring will be the most sensible, since there are only 8 piers to pour.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back