Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Soil nail wall with a 90 deg corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTNClimber

Geotechnical
Jul 24, 2018
US
We're proposing repairs to a 30' tall MSE wall that is showing signs of movement and distress. One option we're proposing is drilling soil nails through the wall face and then shooting a new concrete face. The only issue we're having is the wall has a 90 deg outside corner. Is splaying the soil nails the only option when trying to avoid hitting adjacent nails near the corner? I've spent some time using 3D modeling software to see if there's a way to offset nails or using different nail inclinations for each side of the corner but it's getting messy. Has anyone cracked the code?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes I think 3D FEam is then best approach. I seen a case study on Bentley website of a circular wall which was anchored. Every scone anchor had a different pitch so as to minimise interaction

I’ll tr6 find a link to it

I ran into this problem few times and I wrote a code into excel to calculate the shortest distance between two lines. Keep in mind that you need to consider installation tolerances and if they combined how close two nails can get to each other.

engineering properties aside the paths of potentially intersecting soil nails is easy to model in a cad programs. If for example the long face spacing is 5x5 and the short side face is 5x5 offset 2.5ft vertically can't see they'd be a problem

cmoreride said:
can't see they'd be a problem

Here are the conflicts based on your suggestion. Like I said, it gets complicated real quick.

Capture_yidx53.png

I think you will need to look at increasing anchor length/diameter so that you can use less anchors. There will definitely be interaction and reduction in nail capacity, hence why you need 3D FEM to accurately capture it.

EireChch, I understand your concern. This is currently a conceptual level design so I'm just trying to figure out if this is a realistic option. As of right now, we're not proceeding with soil nailing both sides of the wall but I would put it back on the table if I had confidence that a contractor could install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back