Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Soil permeability in Darcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicopee

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2003
US
As a mechanical engineer I am use to soil permeability values in LT^-1. In the petroleum industry , their engineers will use permeabily units in Darcy being equivalent to 0.987E-12(~1.0E-12)sq. meter. Are there any reference in the public domain that explains how the Darcy equivalent unit of sq.m. was developed?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Big H, the link that you gave me did not get me anywhere, however key words in that link got me to a chart produced by the University of California showing the relationships between Darcy, sq cm, cm/s, m/s and gal/day/sq.ft. values which is good enough for my purpose. The only thing that bothers is that I have no understanding how the petroleum industry developed the relationships between Darcy, sq. m and m/s.

No need for further assistance. I figured out my inquiry which took sometime from my remaining life span. In summary, using Darcy's law for viscous fluids, it was a mere manipulation of the units associated with that equation which was not apparent initially due to the numerous units associated with viscocity, soil permeability, metric and English units, and the myriad units used in technical reference for viscous liquids. Nonetheless persistence paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back