Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soil Presumptive Load-Bearing Values per IBC 2018 table 1806.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Mike

Structural
Apr 27, 2019
TH
I'm designing a sonotube footing for a large sign per IBC 1807.3: Embedded Posts and Poles, which references table 1806.2 for presumptive soil capacities. I understand everything in the IBC, but all of my software programs ask for a "Maximum Lateral Pressure Limit", defaulting to 1500psf. Does anyone know where this comes from? I would expect the only input to be "Allowable Lateral Passive Pressure", since nothing I'm reading in the IBC seems to put a ceiling on the allowable lateral pressure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the third column, "Lateral Bearing Pressure", in Table 1806.2 is the ceiling on lateral pressure.

Further for an embedded post, the S1 value is capped at the value corresponding to a 12ft embed depth.

As an example using the lowest presumptive value of 100 psf/ft for the lateral pressure and an embeddment of 16 ft:
S1 = min(100*16/3 , 100*12/3) = 400 psf

The basis of the IBC embeddment function is a modification of the method shown in the Patterson - Pole Building reference on SlideRuleEra's site: Link

EDIT:
Should add this also depends on what your software is doing, if it's doing a full LPile analysis then you should work with a Geotech on the soil values for use in the program. AASHTO also has another method for pile embeddment in Structural Supports for Highway Signs, Luminaires, and Traffic Signals, 1st Edition.

My Personal Open Source Structural Applications:

Open Source Structural GitHub Group:

Ah! So if presuming 100psf/ft, the cap is 400psf for unconstrained, 1200psf for constrained, and 1500psf for all other elements? Seems dumb of my software to default to 1500psf for a flagpole module.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back