Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

soil structure interaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

neforun

Civil/Environmental
Mar 3, 2010
IE
can someone help me with understanding this statement please.
a structure should be designed to be flexible as possible and as stiff as necessary in relation to the design of structures and foundations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As I read it and given my leve of understanding for structures.....

The more flexible the structure the less lateral load that will need to be resisted by the foundation. The more stiff a structure the more lateral demand on the foudnation.

For example a pinned portal frame that resist lateral load primarily through the column connections with the beam will not transmit lateral load to the foundation. A fixed based frame will thus requiring special consideration of the soil-structure interaction. Of course there are many different foudnation methods that can readily handle the fixed base foundation but the point is, I think, is that deep foundations are expensive and not always necessary.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

What was the context of the quote?

You could also just be talking flexibility to handle differential settlements, but stiff enough not to cause damage to the structure, foundations, and the finish work attached to them.

I see it as flexible enough against settlements, stiffness will relate to how the whole system interacts for the foundation design. i.e. found/superstructure and soil mass.

Qshake, not sure i understand what you are getting at. All the load is ultimately transferred to the foundation no matter what the structure. How it is transfers varies but it still has to go there.

I think it is meant that the structure should be able to deform significantly without fracture ie ductile and stiff enough to transmit the loads to the foundation and resist the loads it is subjected to without breaking the finishes and partitions. I agree with Qshake that the foundation stifness required to transmit fixed end moments to the soil is much larger than the stiffness required to only transmit lateral and vertical forces and is a possin=ble example of what is meant by the statement.

I think it is meant that the structure should be able to deform significantly without fracture ie ductile and stiff enough to transmit the loads to the foundation and resist the loads it is subjected to without breaking the finishes and partitions. I agree with Qshake that the foundation stifness required to transmit fixed end moments to the soil is much larger than the stiffness required to only transmit lateral and vertical forces and is a possible example of what is meant by the statement.

herewegothen - My comment is based on moment resistance and not vertical or shear.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back