Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soil testing 101 for a house builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCWilson

Structural
May 20, 2001
US
What is the appropriate response to a prospective client who wants a house designed on a pier foundation? The house is located somewhere in the northeast area of Pennsylvania.

I want to be able to explain what types of testing are required, what tests are optional(if any) and how to go about getting it done, and of course how much they can expect to spend on it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear JCWilson:

Before making the decision to put the house on a deep foundation, it would be prudent to consult with a geotechnical engineer and to perform a soil subsurface exploration. The decision for a deep foundation on a home is really driven by the soil conditions. I would recommend that you contact a local geotechnical engineer and ask for a subsurface investigation and geotechnical report. I would imagine that you would be looking at a cost around the $2,000 range for that location.

Once having an understanding of the subsurface conditions, the geotechnical engineer can answer the remainder of your questions.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back