Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Soil - Wall Friction Angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jurtinus

Structural
Jan 15, 2018
US
How is the soil-wall friction angle determined, rigorously?

From my studies, I have been told to take is as ½ - ⅔ of the internal friction angle. But how does one get to this point. I have yet to find an explanation in any literature.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is an interface (soil-interface material) friction angle, rather than an internal (soil-soil) friction angle. You get it in the lab from interface friction tests, e.g. shearbox or ring shear.

There are charts for estimating various friction angles of dissimilar materials (NAVFAC, AASHTO) as it is not practical to actually test for these. Using 1/2 - 2/3 of soil phi angle for a concrete wall interface is customary but then this would not apply to a Rankine form of earth pressure analysis that is not based on wall friction, just Coulomb theories.

The dissimilar material friction factors (friction angle = atan(friction factor)) are used in various sliding calculations for many materials so they tend to not be defined in the Coulomb earth pressure sections of textbooks.

Google searth

The log-spiral earth pressure graph in DM 7 shows adjustment factors for wall friction.

In certain instances, it's not necessary to use any reduction - for example on an MSE or a cantilevered retaining wall - one with a footing that extends below the retained soil.

1/2 to 2/3rds is about right though, when the design calls for such reduction.

f-d

ípapß gordo ainÆt no madre flaca!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back