Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SOL 400: "NSM" IN PSHELL or PCOMP CARDS NOT COMPUTED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trezepe

Aerospace
Sep 5, 2013
IT
Hello,
I'm using the MSC SOL 400 for a non-linear transient analysis. I have found out that if I specify a NSM (Non Structural Mass) in the apposite PCOMP/PSHELL field without insert any density value in the material card, during the job-run, the software does not take into account this parameter. So the weight of the structure under study it's not the right weight and all the results are wrong.
Have you ever dealt with a such problem?

Regards

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c332d2f3-dd7d-4ee5-a637-c81ef1e0ed4c&file=PSHEL_NSM.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem arises when one uses PCOMP + PSHLN1 cards (Marc advanced nonlinear elements) in SOL 400.....
So in order to obtain the same weight that you have when using the NSM field in the PCOMP card, the first step is to run, for example, a SOL 101 with the following statement (no SPC specified):

SOL 101
ECHO = PUNCH
EXTSEOUT(MASS EXTBULK ASMBULK EXTID=100 DMIGPCH)
SUBCASE 1
BEGIN BULK
PCOMP,1,,NSM,......
ENDATA

One of the outputs (in the punch file) will be the MAAX matrix.
Copy it and paste it in an new file. Then, as second step, include it in your SOL 400 master file:

SOL 400
CEND
ECHO = NONE
$
M2GG=MAAX
$
SUBCASE 1
BEGIN BULK
PCOMP,1,...... $no NSM specified
PSHLN1,1,.......
INCLUDE 'NSM_PCOMP_MASS_matrix.bdf'
ENDDATA

That's the way I have obtained the weight I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back