Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solder joint at 120 degree C, any solder paste to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

limct

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2003
HK
Hi,

I'm looking for a type of solder paste which is tested and found pass under 120 deg C operating condition for long hours. Can any one shed some light here?

Best regards,
ct

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most solders don't melt below 180C... what else do you need?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Your question is oddly worded. Are you asking for a solder that can be used without degradation at up to 120 degrees C? Pretty much any solder that is not pure tin would work fine. (pure tin might grow whiskers at that temperature, especially if there is humidity too).

Maguffin Microwave wireless design consulting

I'm >>guessing<< that he wants a no-clean solder paste that isn't particularly corrosive at elevated temperatures.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

OK, let me rephrase this, I'm looking for a type of solder paste which can pass at least 500 hrs Hi temp operating life test in a system where the solder joint is subject to 120 degree C. Any recommendation?

Best regards,
ct

Speak to Indium Corp or Multicore Solders. Both have excellent technical departments who will be able to give you advice specific to your application, including selection of a flux to match the combination of process, components, and solder alloy. Depending on volumes both will produce an engineered solder alloy fine-tuned to your requirements, or they may well have an off-the-shelf solution available.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I've never seen a published "operating temperature" for any solder nor am I aware of something like a UL RTI temperature for solder itself...for components/plastics,etc..sure but never for solder.

Please let us know what you find out.. But yes a call to Indium or Kester would be a great place to start

60-40 lead tin solder will withstand 120 deg C all year long.

I would not want to use it in a structural application to hold any weight, as it will creep more at elevated temperatures. But for electronics, 60-40 has been used in military systems with storage requirements to 120C since Hector was a pup.

Oops, got that backward, 60-40 tin lead solder!

You might consider 63-37 tin lead solder, as it is a true eutectic solder mix, and elevated temperatures will not cause any of the metal to precipatate out (which might cause a cold solder joint over time).

But like someone said, talk to a solder company!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back