Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanbabs

Electrical
Jun 1, 2006
US
I was wondering if there is a type of solder that is non-allergenic. I am using Rosin solder (lead free), but it makes me very sick afterwards. It also must be lead-free.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fume hoods extract the fumes so that you don't have to inhale them.

Lead-free solder is another well-known issue. Google ROHS

Right on my bottle of Kester 1588 Rosin soldering flux, it states: "Rosin is an allergen" as you may already know.
There are many rosin free solders available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's the questions that drive us"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can you get the fume hoods at Fry's or some other electronics store? I have been wearing a respirator mask, to no avail.

If you haven't already done so, Google "colophony", and give some thought to what you find there.

More than once, when I've been idly reading over the shoulder of some lawyer in a railway carriage, this is what they've been working on.

A.

Some of the problem with respirators is because the particulates land on your clothes. You take off the respirator and still get whacked.

You really should (in your case) get the fumes out of the space/building. I don't know what your space is like but one suggestion would be: Get some cheap plastic dryer hose. Mount a reasonably powerful pancake fan(like those found in PCs only AC powered) in one end of the hose. You can jig it with sturdy cardboard. Then at a nearby window make a cardboard inset so the window can be closed on the insert. Run the hose to a hole in the window cardboard. You then solder a few inches from the suction side of the hose. The fumes all head out the hose.
If you are in a building with A/C often no fan will be needed as the A/C pressurizes the building and the hose will act like there is already a fan associated with it.

If you have to go over twenty feet then consider using some plastic pipe sections. There are schedules of pipe that are very thin and cheap.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

A buddy of mine did that for his two cat litter boxes... he was known for not changing the litter often, and the ammonia smell became overwhelming. He just hung a few feet of dryer hose from window to box, cut a hole in the box and attached the other side to one of those pre-made mini window fans. It worked, but the poor cats!

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Indeed! Much as I hate cats I wouldn't wish that fate on any.

I used the negative pressure method in my dorm at college. My roommate had the worst BO when exercising I have ever witnessed. It was so bad that if I walked into our 400 room dorm building's first floor door, in the middle of the building, and he was exercising (our room on the very end of the building on the third floor), I could smell him. He would get up every morning (and I-kid-you-not) do 5-600 sit-ups. Well I put a dryer hose in the window and the buildings low pressure would cause outside air to rush in thru the hose. I would stick next to my face. It was the only way to survive.. lolo

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Hi ryanbabs

Like Kieth said but maybe you could use a bathroom fan box real easy to connect hose to. It can be mounted, or temporary and placed as you like close to the work. These do not move too much air should be just about what you need.

You could use a Piece of plywood with a hole for window and a dryer vent exhaust for other end of hose. Use screws to lock window on top of the panel. It can be secure or removed when not in service.

Heck a guy could even use a foot switch to activate as needed.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back