Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soldering leads on ultrasonic transducer. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayband

Materials
Apr 10, 2006
US
I have an old but lightly used ultrasonic cleaning tank where the solder joint between the leads (wires) and ultrasonic transducer surface has failed. I can (and have) soldered them back on, but they stay on about 5 minutes and pop off again. I strongly suspect it takes a special solder because the transducer surface (there are two leads on each of 2 transducers on bottom side of the tank) is not metal; possibly ceramic?? In any case, a soldering iron doesn't burn it, but ordinary solder won't stick. Leco and Branson seem unwilling to help (surprise!!). Anyone know what will work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks a bit like composition board, sort of slick and brownish, but I have no idea what those transducers (probably pizioelectric (sp?)) are made of. I only know it takes a special solder that Leco and Branson aren't about to reveal to me. And I am not about to let one of them perform such a simple repair for 2/3 the cost of a new unit nor am I willing to pitch this unit and buy a new one for such a simple problem. A very common "rock & hard place" to be between these days.

OK, thank you, MintJulep. I had not thought of that. In fact, I was not aware that there was such a product that could actually substitute for solder as an electrical connection. Now its back to Google! Thanks again.

Thanks EdStainless. One of the solder manufacturers checked their sales records & found the product that the major manufacturer buys large quantities of. That's a great start.

IRstuff,

That doesn't work very well as one of the major manufactures installed a system where the connections were crimped/clamped. Within 6 weeks we lost all of the OEM transducers. If I recall correctly all failed on the wire side at the crimp in the connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back