Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soldering Wires to Gold Contacts Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonodelirii

Mechanical
Aug 14, 2010
US
Hi guys,

I am not sure if this is the right section but lets give it a try.

I am trying to solder a wire to some gold contacts but the solder we have isn't working out very well. The solder isn't sticking at all.

I believe the solder is some rosin core pretty common run of the mill solder. And the wire is some ambiguous white metal, not copper. The gold contacts are gold plated copper.

I tried abraiding the gold with steel wool, tried rubbing down to the copper in hopes it will solder better but found some silver looking metal below. I am not sure if they have to put another metal down before they gold plate copper but I didn't try digging deeper.

I am guessing I need special solder for gold and maybe special flux. If someone could point me in the right direction I would really appriasiate it.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried a regular paste flux yet? I've soldered to many a gold-plated spade terminal using regular paste flux and run of the mill solder. Is it not flowing to both the wire and terminal? Have you cleaned and re-tinned the tip on your soldering iron?

I am wondering if "the wire is some ambiguous white metal, not copper" might be the problem and not the gold contacts. Have you tried to 'tin' the wire by itself?

The usual teschniques for soldering wires into Gold plated pins is.

1) Pre fill the contact solder cups with solder.

2) "Tin" the wires [also most copper electrical wire is Tin plated so the Copper doesn't corrode].

3) Then solder the wires into the solder cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back