Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgmix

Aerospace
Dec 15, 2004
US
I want to use soldering to repair a leakage on a tubular stainless steel heat exchanger (347) and on an alunimun fin oil cooler (3003). Operating Temperature for both is approximately 400 degrees Farenheit. What would be the best soldering rod and flux to fix them, if there is any? Is there any AWS , mil standard or mil spec or SAE or ASTM document for soldering?

Thanks for your help!

I am not familiar with using soldering to repair Stainless steel tubular heat exchangers, but we regularly TIG weld T-304 and T-316 stainless steel tubing in the food industry.

I would think you could also TIG weld T-347 SS, but have no experience with this alloy. It maybe that you will need some T-347 filler rod to make the repair. Definitley purge the tube inside and outside with Argon shield before welding, the I in (TIG).

I would think a welded repair would be stronger than a soldered, with no dis-similar metal issues.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back