Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sole Proprietorship vs Incorporating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corbin Collier P.E.

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2019
US
Question to small business owners. I am starting a design company of one. I'm leaning towards sole proprietorship even though I know this puts me at greater risk should litigation occur but it appears to be the best route for me at this time. Did you start as a sole proprietorship or did you immediately incorporate? With your experience what would you recommend to a new small business owner of one and why?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the question about ligation is moot. You are offering to do engineering to the general public, so you need to be a licensed PE. As such, you are personally liable for errors and omissions, regardless of the company structure.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I appreciate your response however, the question is not about litigation but is instead about business structure. Determining the correct structure is essential not only as a means of asset protection but also to minimize the taxes accrued throughout the year. I understand what it means to be a PE and my civil duty to ensure public safety but I am an Engineer who is simply requesting the input from other professionals who have started their own Engineering firm. After further consultation I am likely going to create a Single Member LLC but would still like to know what others have done.

I am also a PE who has started a one man design and 3D printing business. I went with a proprietorship, because I am not designing or selling anything that could cause damages that I could be liable for. I'd say it depends on what you're going to be designing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back