Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solenoid valve buzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

dom253

Mechanical
Apr 4, 2007
GB
Hi Guys, I'm still kinda stuck on my solenoid buzzing problem. The application is a pressure vessel that uses a solenoid valve to activate the discharge of water. The valve system is balanced by the pressure in the system, and the solenoid overcomes a spring force lifting a valve off a seat, discharging the fluid. The valves seem to buzz loudly when discharging water. I beleive this could be a coil problem...?? The fluid is still discharged, but the noise is not evident when no water is in the system. How can i check to see if the coil is working correctly.. It is 110V 50-60hz. It seems i need more force to lift the armature.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Measure the current at the valve.
Measure the voltage across the coil, as close to the coil as you can.

Compare with the rated values.

I'm guessing one or both will be low.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

No it's a brand new valve. I'll see if i can get a measure of the voltage across the coil. Could this be a water hammer thing. I'm not sure if it occurs in small orifi. I am discharging through a 3mm orofice. Around 100ml of fluid at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back