Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid bar with bends

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpjd

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2009
IE
Do I create three seperate bars and merge/blend them together, or do I create a single bar and bend it? Can anyone shed light on how to do either? Whats the best way to achieve this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand what you mean, I think I would draw a sketch of the bent centerline I want the bar to follow and then do a swept protrusion with the croos section of the bar.

Why not use sheet metal (PSM) and the contour flange.

Taken from the help system

You can construct a contour flange as the first feature in a sheet metal document or add a contour flange to an existing tab or flange.

Choose Home tab?Sheet Metal group?Contour Flange .

Click a sketch to define the contour flange.

(Optional) Use the options on the QuickBar to define parameters for the contour flange.

Define the extent of the contour flange.

Click the handle to define the direction for the contour flange.

Type an extent for the contour flange.

Click to finish the feature.

Tip:

You can also define the material thickness of a contour flange by typing a value in the dynamic edit control displayed when defining the extent. You can use the Tab button to switch between the extent distance and material thickness.

I've got no use for sheet metal at all, I only want to create a solid bar/tube, no metal involved. I can map out a center line for the path of the bar/tube, but I can't figure out how the swept protrusion works after selecting swept protrusion option. If someone can show me how it works, that would be great.

I miss read your post, you meant round bar, I thought it was flat bar.

you need to sketch the round profile on 2 planes (start and end, will usually do) one on top(xy) and front (xy)

with Sweep Options dialog box, select multiple paths and cross sections.

On the command bar, define the sweep path. You can draw a path, select part edges, or select sketchs.

next define the cross sections by selecting the sketch elements you want to use and then click the Accept

click finish

You only need 2 sketches, one for the bent centerline and one for the cross section you want at the end of the centerline. Draw your centerline sketch and then at the end of your cl place a plane normal to curve and then draw your xsection on that plane. Start swept protrusion and leave the selections as they are and hit accept then pick your cl and hit accept then pick your xsection and hit accept. That should be it.

For the sweep protrusion to work you need a path and a profile. So let's say you draw a sketch on the top plane with the lenght and radius of the bar center line and then you can create the second sketch using the plane normal to curve option to position the sketch exactly on the path line. In the second sketch you draw the sweep profile in your case a circle (make sure the circle center is constrained to the path) then with the sweep protrusion you select the path first and then the profile and there you go. In case you have trouble knowing what to do just follow the PromptBar.

I hope it helps

Patrick

The center line path for the bar is made up of three seperate lines and two circular arcs. I'm guessing a need to connect in order to have one continuous line. Then I might be able to do a swept protrusion. how do I connect the lines and arcs inot one line?

rpjd,
The start of the line in the second sketch is connected to the end of the arc in the first sketch. That is sufficient.
When you do the sweep you select the first sketch then ACCEPT, then NEXT. Now select the cross-section sketch and ACCEPT.
This will create the first sweep.
Now repeat for the second sweep using the second sketch as the path but the circular edge on the end of the previous sweep is now your cross-section.
You don't have to draw another cross-section step. You can use existing part edges.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

I think I might have gone slightly off course with this. I created the path for the solid bar (lines and arcs) in one sketch and the circular cross-section in another. Does this matter? If not, how do I proceed?

Didn't use Xpress Route, I thought that was for pipework, tried to ues it but couldn't figure it out.
I created the centre line of the bar in one sketch and the cross-section in another, then used Swept Protrusion to create to solid bar.

Your way works fine for many situations.

Express route will allow you to make the 'pipes' solid.

However, robustly controlling the routes can take a little effort. Also it is linked to the assy it's created in.

So for simple shapes, swept protrusion may be best.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back