Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Solid edge file properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitz97

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2007
US
We use file properties to populate our drawing title blocks in ST7.

Currently, when they need updating/changed, we must either go back to file in question or use the property manager.

For large assemblies, this can be time consuming. Wondering if anyone knows of any way to update/change properties of a part used in a .dft file from the .dft file without using the property manager or going back to the part in question?

I doubt there is but it would sure be nice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since double clicking on a drawing view opens the part file (I assume still true ST7) is it that much of a burden to open the part file?

Revision manager may be a way to do it, but still opening another 'application'.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

yes, that's the current method. Double click to open the file, go to file properties, change as needed, save file, close file, go back to dwg, etc. Just on some large assemblies it can take quite a bit of time to open a file just to change a word in the file properties to correct the title block.

Well, you used to be able to do it in windows explorer, right click properties but since going W7 it doesn't work for us. Might just be because we're on a very old version of SE though.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Not sure why you would need to open the individual part file from the draft. You can change part properties from the draft using property manager which I think you already implied although you also indicated you don't like to use property manager for some reason. Also you can use property manager on the top assembly and see all the properties for all the parts in the assembly and edit them all there instead of opening individual files.

You are right, property manager would be an option. Being that it looks at the properties for all files, this is even worse for some of our drawings of bigger assemblies. It takes even longer for that to open than to just open the part file itself to change the properties.

Playing with this some more, I can change properties via windows explorer or the insight server interface, though that wont change anything I have open until I close and reopen again. I cant figure out how to "Reload" what I already have open to update the properties of the loaded file in my cache.

thanks all. Doesn't seem to be any better options.

Not sure it's a great idea to change files via explorer or whatever while the file is open in SE. Just changing it from SE should be enough. In an assembly you can right click a part and get a "file properties" command. Why do it in explorer?

You can run Prop Manager without opening the draft file.
Start Solid Edge then click the application icon in the top left corner.
You can start Prop Man from there and select individual files or a whole folder.

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back