Solid Edge frame design

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarelKullama

Automotive
Dec 6, 2013
EE
Hello,

I have searched quite thoroughly, but I cannot find any help from internet and this forum.
How can I get drawings in dxf or some other format for laser cutting. I would like to design a frame using the Frame design in Solid Edge ST6. It is quite easy to get the wievs in draft, but how to get drawings for laser cutting.

Karel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be able save draft flie "save as transleted" and pick format to DXF. You will have to configure vie scale to desired output

If you need to document the tubes/frames due to cuts or other, in the standard assy environment (exit frame/xpressroute), from the App button, go to Save As and use the fly out menu to select Save Model As...
This will save an associative copy of the selected tube/frame to a part file that can then be individually documented or whatever else you need to do and it will update when you make changes in the Assembly it came from.

Ken G.

Have you checked out the Solid Edge Community site?

I think you can only generate DXF for laser cutting on 2D features by simple file translation. In the sheet metal environment you can create flat pattern and convert to DXF.

Tubes are 3D extrusions and cannot be flattened.

If you have acess laser cutter capable of cutting features on surface of tube you will need to post process cad file.

Does your CAM system accept any sort of 3D data for tube processing? We too have a flatbed laser WITH a tube chuck which allows us to process round, square, rectangular tubing, etc. However the CAM software to drive this part of the machine has no interface to an outside CAD system other than flat pattern .dxf's of an unrolled tube. That is something Solid Edge's Frame Design will not generate for you currently.

Programming of that system is no walk in the park unless you can use the built in tools for tube intersections, etc. For this we do generate tube frames in Edge in order to generate drawings. We then derive the center line lengths, intersections and angles from those drawings for input to the CAM Tubing software. NOT a fun process and one I shy away from for anything other than a "large" job.

HTH,
Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
305 Leo St.
Dayton, Ohio, U.S.A. 45404
Tel: 937.224.0868
Fax: 937.224.1356

Status
Not open for further replies.