Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid Edge Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

otacustes

Electrical
Jul 12, 2004
GB
Hi all,
Does anyone know of open source software that will convert Solid Edge draft files into a DXF.

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Otacustes

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless I'm missing something you don't need any software.

Just do a save file as, pull down the file type and dxf is an option.

Hope I understood and this helps.

Ken

Apologies Kenat,

I should elaborate a little. What I want to do is to automate the task with a few optional extras and therefore was hoping that there was something out there that gives me the basics of the file structure of a Solid Edge draft file and how o read one.

Thanks

In that case I don't know.

Have you been in touch with GTAC or looked at the SE usergroups hosted by Solid Edge?

You may be able to do it with basic/xml/.net but I wouldn't know where to start.

Ken

Hi,

the file structure of the usual SE files is unpublished.
But what do mean " ... with a few optional extras". There
is a modified batch.exe flying around (version 5040 I think)
that has lot of capabilities. Otherwise you could use
VB to create you own.

dy

Otacustes,

Under program files\solid edge Vxx\Custom\Batch\ there is a program called batch.exe. This program will convert everything in a folder / folder plus sub folders / or single files. All the source code is there to modify it if you need to.

Jim

Thanks joesch for the tip. The only problem is that the source code replies upon the Solid Edge API and requires Solid Edge to be loaded on the machine it will be run on.

What I want to do is be able to convert independently without Solid Edge having to be installed.

It must be possible somehow as people like this

have a dft viewer that doesn't rely upon Solid Edge being installed!!

Thanks

Viewer data is stored in the solid edge file and does not require solid edge to be loaded on the machine. This data is available from VB programmes and that's why there are independant viewers.
You used to be able to download the viewer from UGS, or install it from the CD.
To convert the file probably requires a 'save as' so you will need to open solid edge.

bc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back