Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid Edge References

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillS01

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2010
US
We are migrating one our divisions that use Solid Edge from their network drive into our PDM System (SolidWorks Enterprise PDM). I have very little knowledge with Solid Edge and hoping that someone might be able to help answer some questions.

1. The first issue I am running into is duplicate named files. We do not want to allow this in our PDM system so the first thought was we will rename all the duplicate files and they will need to rename and relink them when they run into them. Not the prettiest but it was an option until I realize what the cfg files where used for. I am guessing that if I rename the assembly and the cfg file the assembly will no longer be able to find the cfg file and create a new one when the assembly is opened. Is that a correct assumption?
2. Is there a method or tool that Solid Edge has that finds missing or renamed reference?

I know the correct way to handle this would be fixing all the duplicate names up front but because of the amount of duplicates along with the time frame to get them in this is not an option.
Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BillStadler - talk to Solid Edge they have utilities for searching data sets for some of these issues to support their own PDM systems. Some of them may even auto fix some issues though I forget details.

Do not break all those links by renaming in explorer (or equivalent) or you'll effectively eliminate the usefulness of the 3D data base. SE comes with a utility called revision manager that can be used for maintaining links - I believe it has slightly more functionality than what SW comes with. Revision manager can do a 'where used' search when you rename parts to help you set all affected linked files to update & maintain links. Depending how many files you have this can take a little while though, but there are some options to speed it up some.

However, I'm not sure how maintaining links once the files are in a PDM system will work.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

The CFG file names must match the ASM file names so that they are automatically referenced when the assembly files are opened. The PDM system needs to manage them as a set and must deliver them to the user as a set. The CFG file is not a user addressable file. If the CFG file does not exist, Solid Edge will recreate it but it will be missing any configurations that were created. DFT files can be created using specific configurations especially exploded views as they depend completely on the CFG file.

Ken G.

I think revision manager also has a search for broken links.
It definitely has methods for fixing broken links.

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back