Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid Edge ST4 now hangs/freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyYz400

Nuclear
Mar 27, 2008
US
Im in an office of 2 CAD stations, with nearly identical setups (different but similar mother boards, everything else the same).

One day I came in, booted up the machine, now SE will hang constantly on my machine. It will become unresponsive for about 45 to 60 seconds. If you drag a windows window over top SE, you'll see that SE is not refreshing and you get streaks of the window you're dragging.

I did find that if I change the video settings to software driven, or back storing it'll work just fine (but slow), only graphics card driven will make it lock up.

I swapped the graphics card with the one in the working machine, and it still hangs. So not card related. I've updated the card drivers, no change. I've rolled back to a 'certified' driver, no change. I removed and re-installed SE, no change.

So the only other thing I can think of to do is format computer and reload everything.

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Specs:
XP 32 bit
SE ST4
4Gb RAM
Quadro 600

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although I appreciate that the machines may have similar hardware, machines are never exactly the same. Machines with the same specced hardware may actually have different revisions of hardware installed, different revisions of BIOS installed on motherboards, video cards, etc, not to mention entirely different Windows updates installed, different specific user settings/preferences, etc.

You state this is XP 32-bit. Have you set the /3B and /USERVA=2700 switches in the boot.ini options? If not you need to as this will greatly improve overall Solid Edge stability.

Also, have you set your virtual swap file minimum and maximum values to 2 X RAM, or in your case to 8192.

Also consider setting your Visual Effects to "best performance".

-Dave

Check for Solid Edge Options on the View tab look for Application Display and uncheck Automatic Selection and select Graphic card driven (advanced) if problem continue try set in off the motherboard hardware acceleration (Screen resolution / Advance settings / Troubleshoot)

Best regards
Diego

Diego Moreno
Application Engineer
InterLatin PLM

We're having similar graphic problems with ST4.

We aren't getting 'hangs' but we are getting those streaks in sketches and parts not un-highlighting in assembly until the view is refreshed.
Workstations are Dell T3500 Xeon W3565 @ 3.2 GHz , 12GB ram and W7 Pro 64-bit.
The graphics cards are ATI FirePro V7900 with 2GB, so we have proper cad cards.
I tried updating the driver to version 8.982.3.0 but it made no difference.
To get round it we have had to set application display to Graphics Cadrd Driven > Basic.

I'm not sure if its connected, but I think the rendering is very slow in ST4.
We are running Solid Edge MP7.

I recently installed ST4 student edition at home for my son and the rendering is slow on there also - far slower than ST2 or 3 (NVidia FX4600)

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back