Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid Edge V20 chain creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

plant88888

Mechanical
Aug 6, 2011
EE
Hey,
I am in middle of engineering a project which includes a chain and a single sprocket but I cannot create a chain. From engineering reference I can create a set of sprockets but without the chain. I also have a related question, how could i create a minature sprocket. Those sprockets which i can manage to make are about 37 mm radius, but is it possible to create a 3 mm radius sprocket. ( I have all my dimensions 1 mm = 1 cm)

Jon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why are you scaling things?
You should work at 1:1 in a model.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

For the chain you would have to model the parts required for the links then try and use Pattern Along Curve.
It probably still won't give exactly the correct result.
I wouldn't bother with the links unless they are absolutely necessary - just create a sweep of a rectangle along the path.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Plant8888,

You definitely need to model parts in a 1:1 scale. The drafting module in Solid Edge is where you set the scale when creating detail drawings.

I have some models with chains in them, but I typically just draw the centerline of the chain around the pitch diameter of the sprockets and use it to model a representation of the chain. It is possible to model all of the links, but it can become very demanding on your computer.

Kyle

Thanks for answering,
I am seriously reconsidering my first choice to scale and now starting to reform everything. But about the chain, i just thought as solid edge itself produces the sprockets that it would be logical for it to also make a chain suitable for those sprockets, but as it seems it is not.
Jon

Jon,

You would probably run into issues in other CAD systems as well when modeling chain. They can do it, and you can download chain parts (links, plates, etc.) but the part count goes up and starts to demand more resources.

You'll find modeling in 1:1 much easier since Solid Edge can do all of the tedious work for scaling when it comes time to make drawings. Solid Edge will dimension the parts in full scale even if the drawing view is another scale and the dimensions will stay correct even if you change your view scale late. What size chain are you working with?

Kyle

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back