Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solid model volume numbering 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwf

Mechanical
Aug 9, 2007
US
I created two volumes by using the V commend. then I'd like to substrate one from the other by using the VSBV command. This needs the volume numbers. Please advise how to number the volumes, what is the command? Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The user has no way of modifying volume numbers. In your situation it might be advisable to select volumes by location, assign them to a component, then reference component names instead of volume numbers in your VSBV operation.

The above poster is right. Setting components is the easiest way to name a volume. If you are having trouble actually finding the volume to name, you have a few options. First of all, in the GUI you can turn on volume numbering in the PlotCtrls menu. You can use the VLIST command to list all the currently selected volumes. The numbering will not be natural (i.e. they will not got 1,2,3... in order of creation), so this can be handy to narrow down what volume numbers actually exist. You can also use the VPLOT command to plot individual volumes (e.g. VPLOT,5 to plot volume 5) if the volume you are looking for has an obviously distinct shape.

In a APDL model what you can use:
Create each volume with before and after:

vsel,none
v,.......
vvv1=vlnext(0)

vsel,none
v,.......
vvv2=vlnext(0)

then your VSBV command:

VSBV,vvv1,vvv2,....

Status
Not open for further replies.