Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid Slab Resting on Masonary Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmed A. Alamin

Structural
Oct 28, 2019
SD
Hellow everyone, i'm trying to design a solid slab that rests on masonary walls. My question is about the design of the supporting beams. Knowing that these beams carry the slab and rests directly on the wall, how i could analyze and design such beams? Is it similar to beam on elastic foundation? If so, how could i extract the necessary peoperties to analyze the problem. Also if anyone coukd suggest some references that deals with such a problem that would be great.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

20200630_105716_jswxio.jpg

If the beam is fully bearing on the wall and not carrying vertical load over a particular span then I assume you’re only providing the beams as part of your system resisting disproportionate collapse in which case they would be designed accordingly rather than designed as if they’re supported on an elastic foundation in my view.

There may also be seismic considerations which again require appropriate design.

What is the function of the beam? Does it bear on the brick wall? Is the brick just infill? Is it really brick or is it CMU?

I little more information would be helpful. What type of building is this? What Code is in force?

If the slab is bearing on a brick wall, there is no need for a beam. You could tie the slab to the brick using short vertical reinforcement. Brick is not commonly used as a bearing wall in Canada, but may be used in some parts of the world.

If the wall is built with concrete masonry units (CMU) instead of brick, you could use a bond beam under the slab and tie them together with 'L' shaped dowels.

If the architect wants a concrete beam for aesthetic reasons (perish the thought), you would provide nominal temperature and shrinkage reinforcement.

BA

OP it depends on what is the local practice in your region. In some regions brick is considered non-structural (due to various reasons such as lack of code, industry norms, workmanship issue with local brick tradesmen), in others it is considered structural.

Just on a gravity load perspective, if your case is the former then design the beam for the weight of the beam, slab, brick above, and live loads, if it is the latter then the beam is really not required (unless it is acting as a lintel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back