Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid Works for ANSYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimini21

Mechanical
Jul 16, 2003
US
Hi there all,

I am a beginner studying ANSYS right now and I wanted to know from the experiences and knowhow of most of you - is Solid Works the most common solid modelling software used in ANSYS FEA? Thanks for the tip.

Gimini21

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Like most FEA programs, ANSYS can import a variety of neutral formats like parasolid, IGES, STEP.

Like all CAD programs, SW can export a varity of neutral formats like parasolid, IGES, STEP.

IMHO, interoperability between CAD and FEA is oversold. What counts is a sound analysis with realistic results.

[bat]"Great ideas need landing gear as well as wings."--C. D. Jackson [bat]

I don't know about the most common, but I've used Ansys with Solidworks, and it is a nice interface. One of the key things to me (from my standpoint as a Design Engineer, others may disagree) about a good interface between CAD and FEA is the ability to parameterize geometry in the FEA software, so that you can quickly analyze different versions of a part while trying to optimize your design. (For example, changing the diameter or length of a part.)

You don't get that type of thing with STEP and parasolid importion, and you have to reapply all of your Boundary Conditions and other settings each time you import a new part.

Just my 2 cents.

I think that there can be a lot to be said for integration. (Note I said "can".) We use Cosmos (virtually all their products, not just CosmosWorks.) We already used Cosmos before we got SW, so that had a lot to do with it. However, the tight integration is very useful and saves us a lot of time. We do some quite complex analysis. I would think that any Gold Partner solution (and most Silvers) should give the same sort of advantages. In our case, that fact that DS/SW own Cosmos does not hurt the equasion any.

I was - and he did. So at least I didn't get coal.....
OK, OK, It's a reference to my holiday sig. "Be naughty - Save Santa a trip..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back