Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidwork modelling and simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveedm1

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2011
GB
i need help guys I have got a part with a round cavity in between and a smaller square part that i need to put inside the cavity.

but the gaps i want to fill with a glue and then i wnat to test the strenght of the join and analyse it further.

( this is just a basic model i want to try to learn the process)

the overall goal is to insert my human elbow prosthesis inside the human ulna and humeral bone and then test the prosthesis to see where it keeps on faili

Help is needed!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you should have posted this in : Solidworks: Simulation/FEA(COSMOS) but what the heck...

I can't open ur file unfortunately because I still use SW2010, but I think I understand the problem.

You will need to make a glue-part that connects the round cavity part with the square part. (???)

If so, one method you can use is the following:
- Insert the two parts (round cavity thingy and square thingy) into an assembly.
- Create a new part in the assembly.
- In that part, create surfaces (mold toolbar/surface toolbar) of the faces that will be connected with the glue. Use for example the "Offset Surface" command and set the offset to 0.
- Close if necessary the surfaces to create an enclosed surface. Use for example the "Filled Surface" command.
- "Knit" the surfaces together and form a solid with the "try to form solid" checkbox.
- You now have a solid that acts as the glue between the round cavity and the square.
- Start simulation and analyze with the glue part having glue material properties (not in the library I think :) )

There are probably other ways to achieve this, but this works for me.
Hope this all helps, if not it was a good exercise for me anyway...

GL

Post this on forum1183. That is the forum for Simulation.

Please create a STEP file of the assembly. As you may have noticed a number of people don't have the latest release of SW. Especially in a specialty like FEA you want to maximize the number of respondents.

A simple screen shot might help too.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom IIx6 1100T = 8GB = FX1400 = XP64SP2 = SW2009SP3
"Node news is good news."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back