Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jevakil

Mechanical
Mar 19, 2003
US
Can any of you guys testing Solidworks 2004 give us a quick overview of the new features?

jevakil@mapdi.com

One nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, if you want too see the new features you need to sign up for the beta testing. I'm not being mean by saying "NO" but we are not able to infrom anyone of the new features in SW04 beta.

SW has made it clear in other NG's that "Anyone Posting to this NG in regards to the Beta version of Solidworks 2004 will be removed from the Beta program. This version is not open for public Discussion"

You can find this post and others like it at comp.cad.soildworks or
Besides items that are in beta right now may not be there in the final release of 04.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [frog][elephant2]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

SBaugh is correct again. I have mentioned that you might all want to be looking a NVIDIA Quadro for graphics choice several times and only that piece of possible information, because it was originally obtained independently from the Beta program and before I had seen the beta release. Otherwise nothing can be leaked. It is pretty standard practice and makes sense as he points out. You could always join the Beta program if it is not too late.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

Jevakil, read it yourself:

Apprently SW is ready to release this puppy. I signed up to do the Beta Testing just a month or two ago. And it's ready to be purchased. SW must be either: very confident in this release, or quickly releasing 2004 to stave off competition (or both :)).

SW has a tendancy to show off Pre-releases at Solidworks World. I do not believe they are too concerned about "leaking" future releases to the public if they showed it to 10,000's (maybe 100,000's) of people at these shows.

In Solidworks' July 8 press release, posted on their web site:

"SolidWorks 2004 is available immediately for purchase in 12 languages worldwide".

Does that mean you can buy it now, but it won't be delivered until the beta testing is over? Odd.

I think that is what it means, you can pre-purchase now, and it will be delivered after testing.

Also, speaking of press releases, July 7th...
"With the new SolidWorks RealView feature, users can now create lifelike views of products in various stages of design using realistic materials and textures without leaving the design mode. Unlike competing products, RealView marries industrial designers’ aesthetics with mechanical designers’ functional concerns to deliver the most realistic, real-time rendering capability available within a 3D mechanical design system."

Can anyone shed some light on this, like is this an add-on like PhotoWorks (perhaps a renaming trick), or will it be available in the core product, meaning SW04 sans Office and Professional versions?

Wanna Tip? faq731-376
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

The realview is awesome!! It's not an add-in but rather it comes with SW04.

I had my company purchase me one of the cards that is supported. You have to have a particular Quadro FX card before you can use this new feature. I bought the FX 500 and I like it.

What the Realview is, is that you apply a material to a part like chrome and click realview and the model is seen as chrome. Like if you change colors in a model in SW03 you would see it as that color. Same steps except you add a material instead of a color.

I hope that helps,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

SBaugh, does this mean my "old" GloriaIII card won't work? Is there a list of approved card for using this new feature? Is it still restricted due to beta testing, or can you share the list with me, or point me in the right direction?

Wanna Tip? faq731-376

Your card will work fine you just can't use the the Realview option.

There is a list in the What's new of SW04.

From my understanding this is the list that I'm aware of:
Quadro FX 2000, 1000, 500
Quadro4 980 XGL, 900 XGL, 780 XGL, 750 XGL, 700 XGL, 700 Go GL

You have to remember that this is Beta and this could change, but I doubt it will...you never can tell sometimes though.

[cheers],

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

Just got back from a SW2004 Rollout seminar coordinated by my VAR, GoEngineer. Very nice info, and our guest speaker was Aaron Kelly, Director of Product Development at SolidWorks Corp.

It amazes me how I can still get excited about this software each time I see a new version come out. We've all had our share of bumps and scrapes with the software, and it looks like SW Corp is finally taking all of that to heart.

MadMango
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

can someone tell me where to put the realview shader and texture files then please because my cards an fx2000 and im sure it supports texture shading and then some

LIKE ive said in earlier posts theres got to be something quicker than pw2

I just have one question...

Please tell me they have improved the 2D drawing side of the software...

That seems to be about the most unstable part of the software to date...

If you get a really busy drawing, dimensions and annotations tend to jump around all by themselfs...

SWVB101, I didn't see too much on the drawing side during the Rollout seminar, except some new functionality.

Auto-insert Item Bubbles- These look really nice, and they default all around the drawing an equal distance, makes things look nice. If leader cross, they automatically uncross themselves.

Hole Charts- enought said there, looked really good.

Rev Blocks- again, nice looking.

Light Weight Drawing mode- acts just like LW assys.

MadMango
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back