Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks 2007 and windows vista 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARamsay

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2005
CA
I am having trouble running sldworks on my new laptop which has vista home premium.
The installation goes fine and I can run sldworks when it prompts me at the end of installation. However once I close the program and try to open it at another time, windows gives me a message saying Soliworks has stoped working, windows will close the program. So now I can't even open the program.

Can anyone help me with this problem.

Thanks in advance,
AR

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but;

1) Unless you have a ATI Fire GL card it will probably be next to useless for SolidWorks.

2) The currently available versions of SolidWorks are not compatible with Vista. SW07-SP3 will be the first release to be compatible ... due out anytime.

[cheers]

Check the Customer Portal "News and Tech Alerts" section.

With the release of 2007 SP3, a separate download or DVD will be required to install on Microsoft® Windows Vista®.

I take it from that statement, that a clean install will be necessary.

[cheers]

I got this from SW on vista the other day. After SP3. is released and is installed, there will not be any drivers that are certified, because of the Mfg of the cards, so its recommended that you run SW using the software OpenGL option activated.

See FAQ for turning this option on.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Solidworks is 90% slower under Vista. I have tried it, and it is almost unusable. Do not upgrade to Vista if you run Solidworks.

nVidia has hardware OpenGL, yet the Solidworks Vista Beta still does not use it. It seems to have the software version of OpenGL hardcoded even if the 'software opengl' checkbox is unchecked.

SW stated to me that when SP3.0 comes out that there will probably not be any Software drivers so its recommended to run the Software OpenGL. Until the Manufacturers of those cards produce drivers for that version. The same problems that 64-bit dealt with when it was released.

Regards

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

As anyone tried running 2007 sp2.2 on Vista in Winxp compatability mode?

Seems you can't buy a home pc (Dell, Gateway, HP) anymore with WinXP...only Vista. They give you that option on their workstations but people don't want a workstation for home use.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP5.1 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.1 on WinXP SP2

however i think whats more important is the fact that over on lots of forum the same question is being asked

does ug run on vista
does pro e run on vista
does catia run on vista
hey autocad doesnt run on vista

etc etc

the problem being people are spending so much time meddling and wondering it makes you wonder why they are not producing i havent seen anywhere or anything in vista that is even bordering on great let alone making it worth upgrading

and i definitely havent seen anything in vista from the beta releases that has intimated , vista will greatly improve your engineering departments productivity it seems people just want something new to look at

its taken a long time to get to a point where people are happy just to complain about their software running on xp safe in the knowledge they can at least fix it

,makes me wonder if cad/engineering guys and gals are just glutton for punishment when they willingly open up a new can of headaches especially hen theres little to be done at the moment

for me its a sit it out till it actually does benefit me

Hard to sit out sometimes when any new computer you order only has Vista as an option. Go to Dell, gateway, or HP and build a new home ssytem.....WinXP is not an option.

Are you saying you have Swx 2007 sp2.2 running on Vista? How does it perform?

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP5.1 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.1 on WinXP SP2

Have you made any progress in getting solidworks '06 up and running with vista? I am having the exact same problem with my new machine at home. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back