Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks 2007 to 2011 Out of Date Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawoh

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2002
CA
We have just upgraded from SW2007 to SW2011.

I have just loaded an assembly with a lot of files copied read-only out of PDM. SolidWorks is trying desperately to update these. Time is being wasted. 3D CAD programs ought to be able to manage older version files transparently.

Is there any way I can stop this?

Critter.gif
JHG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe there should be a conversion wizard type program to mass convert older files to the new format. I know my PDM system (DBWorks) has one, but I don't know about others.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to not have it convert old files on open. And because they're read-only, it will have to do it every time you access them.

I believe all files have to be checked in and Read Only before using the Task Scheduler option.

download.aspx

It took me several weeks after work to update our company's vault to a newer version of SW using automated tools and all the workstations in the department. If you are using PDM it is even more problematic because you might inadvertently be making changes or bumping revisions. Sometimes the PDM vendor has a solution for this.

CSWP, BSSE

"Node news is good news."

SteveMartin said:

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to not have it convert old files on open. And because they're read-only, it will have to do it every time you access them.

Wow. We have ten years worth of SolidWorks files sitting in our vaults. This is going to be a nightmare.

Why don't CAD vendors understand the meaning and significance of read-only? New versions of CAD should only be adding features. It should not be deleting them. There ought to be no problems reading old, read-only files. This is one of the major reasons we got rid of Mechanical Desktop.

I guess it is just too much to ask for 3D CAD that can save files in the older format.

Critter.gif
JHG

This gets more interesting. The updates are being done by our PDF software, SmarTeam. When I disable SmarTeam, everything loads normally.

Critter.gif
JHG

The problem is in the 'database' that makes up your CAD file. With each new release, they schema changes to accomodate new features. CAD vendors are aware of this and so they have a 'conversion' utility that runs on each part as it is opened to update the structure to the current version. If you have parts that are many versions old, it takes a little longer to reformat the internal file structures.

With a PDM system on top of the CAD system, you are know playing against permissions and checking to see who has that file open. There should be no physical change to a part's shape or features when converted to the latest data structure. Assemblies may load newer component versions, so you do need to watch how the components are loaded into the structure.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back