Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks 2007 to Catia V5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesman0007

Mechanical
May 21, 2003
US
I searched the forum and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have been using SW for about five years now and an opportunity came up for someone with SW experience to work with Catia V5. How much of a transition would this be? It's a chance to broaden my skills but is it going to cause a lot of stress and frustration in the process. Just looking for others that may have made the move, pros and cons.

Thanks,

Dennis

SolidWorks 2007 SP3.0
Windows XP Pro, Pentium4 3.00GHz
1GB RAM, Nvidia FX500
Logitech Marble Mouse, CadMan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't used Catia, but I wouldn't be concerned about learning V5. From what I've heard, V5 is much more like SWX than V4. When Ford started moving away from I-DEAS to Catia V5, one of the people I worked with was told that it would be easier for people who knew I-DEAS to learn Catia V5 than it would be for people who knew Catia V4. Needless to say, there is a significant difference between Catia releases.

I went from using I-DEAS to using SWX and found the transition quite painless. If the V5 user interface actually is much more like that of the midrange solid modelers you shouldn't have any trouble, particularly if you really want to learn V5.

I worked with Catia before switching to SolidWorks and as far as Im concerned, SolidWorks is easier to work with, more user friendly - I worked with Catia for one year. Everything looks alike at a first glance, but for me SW is just more of a complete product ( kind of an upgrade ).

CATIA v4 and v5 shouldn't even have the same name, they are so different. I worked on v4 for 10 years. SWx is way easier than v4. v5 however is pretty similar to SWx. I've only ever dinked around with v5. I've never really WORKED with it. There would be a learning curve obviously, but it wouldn't be too bad IMHO.

Thanks for the input. I may give it a look. I wish they had some kind of a free hands on similar to SolidWorks. I guess it wouldn't hurt to learn something new, just don't want to fall on my face right out of the blocks.

Dennis

SolidWorks 2007 SP3.0
1GB RAM, Nvidia FX500

Dennis,

If the other opportunity seems like a good one I wouldn't worry about stumbling over the software for a while. I assume the potential employer is willing to train on Catia; if so, they should understand that you won't be as proficient as their other users immediately after you start.

You'll obviously need to make the call on the position. I wouldn't rule out an opportunity simply because I'd have to learn a new software package.

A bit of a tangent....but it depends on the job. Depending on the company, if you're going in as a job-shopper, they might expect you to hit the ground running. If you're going in as direct, then I wouldn't worry......

If they have a swear box at your new job ask for a pay rise before you start as you'll need the money.

I use both SW and Catia and not a day go's bye when I don't swear at Catia. What can take 6 steps in SW will take 12 in Catia. I must say that Catia does have one or two good points but overall I put Catia below Solidworks.

Hope you have 3 good fingers on your mouse hand as you'll need them all to be able to move around in Catia. Then you have the commands to deal with, I can help with a couple to get you started:-

Translate = Move
Instantiation = Copy

Best of luck with your new job.

I am a big SWX fan; however, here are few things that I like about CATIA (hope SWX includes in a future release):

1) Body Translation tools are powerful, you can do about anything (rotate about a sketch entity, rotate about two lines at an angle). UG NX is also good at this.

2) Copy Paste and Paste Link of bodies is great (SWX can't do this without the API)

3) Design Tables are pretty good, but I would not say they are necessarily better than SWX. SWX design tables are great.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Dennis

SolidWorks 2007 SP3.0
1GB RAM, Nvidia FX500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back