Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks 2008 where to store files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kensai

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2002
GB
Hi folks,

We have three seats of 2008 and no PDM works.

We have to store our SW files somewhere but not on the main server computer. Currently they are stored on one of the SW PCs, this is not ideal as performance is very degraded. A USB external hard disk drive is not an option as this is even worse.

Does anyone have a workable solution?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First off, why can't you store your files on your server? I never heard of such a thing. How does your company do back-ups? Second, you need to get your company data on somekind of server for sharing of files and common parts.

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2007 SP 4.0
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2
Intel 2 Duo Core, 2GB RAM
nVida Quadro FX 3450 512 MB

Kensai, sounds like some kind of permission/security issue. Do you have an IT department there? Do you have a maintenance agreement with Solidworks. You can can them if you do. Bottom line you can hardwire all the computers togther and make one a server out of one of them.

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2007 SP 4.0
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2
Intel 2 Duo Core, 2GB RAM
nVida Quadro FX 3450 512 MB

Sorry,

Should have explained.

We have an "IT manager", much like many other "IT managers",
a bit hit and miss. I am CCNA qualified and know my networks, alas, I am not permitted admin priv. as I am only employed as a draughtsman with this company. The VAR had people in here on 3 occasions, no conclusion other than me putting all the files on my PC and the other two guys having performance issues. It is a workaround I am looking for not a logical conclusion. Maybe a network drive or similar.

Thanks

The "failed to save" error you were receiving is a known transient issue, meaning it happens sporadically. The one thing that has been proven is that having a fast (GB) network lessens, if not complete eliminates, the error.
To have your files stored on a local machine is risky business. What happens if the HD craps out? You guys are risking loosing big bucks (time and energy) by not having your files on a server that is consistently backed up. Better to spend some money now that to loose it later.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

A network drive (1teraabyte) should be $500-$1000 for a decent one, but it is dangerous unless you can ensure daily backups.

If you know what is wrong, or think you can find the problem, then you should go to your superiors and make them give you the chance to fix things with your network. A little effort now will prevent huge problems in the near future. It doesn't take long for bad processes and work flow to turn into a nightmare.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I agree with MadMango.
Get the correct hardware, install a server, fire your IT Manager. (not necessarily in that order).
You will be more efficient and happier in the long run.

Chris
SolidWorks 08 0.0/PDMWorks 08
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)
ctopher's blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back