Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks 2010: Mating a fairing to a sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

vctech

Marine/Ocean
Sep 11, 2009
US
Hello,

I am attempting to mate a fairing part to a sweep (my cable). The path of the sweep is a spline to simulate the free movement of the cable. I am having a difficult time getting the two to mate properly. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To clarify:

I think it is best to open the attached image to see what I am trying to accomplish then read the body of this post.

I am modeling fairings that are attached to a cable. I have created the cable using a sweep that will follow a equation driven line. There are over 800 fairings so I am trying to use patterns to model this. The fairings are linked together like a chain. What is the best way to accomplish this rather that individually mating all the links together? I had several thoughts: 1) Create a small section of 6 links fully mated together and pattering or repeatedly inserting that sub-assembly 2) Insert the path sketch into the fairing part file and use a curve driven pattern. The end goal is to show several configurations of different link lengths and fairing spacing. Is there a better way to do this? Is there a SW tool that will help me do this? Thank you.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=af67de2a-67cb-4d4e-b8ca-d5e6ae52fa99&file=Cable_Fairing.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back