Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks 2018 feature recognition not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunsmithTony

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2012
NL
Hello,
I am a gunsmith, and have an 1911 part file that was imported from an STEP file in my 2018 solidworks.
When opening, solidworks asks if i wants to use feature recognition? and i klick yes, but than nothing happens.
On the add-ins , the feature works button is selected.
When going to insert, feature works, recognize features,options and customize menu is not responding / working.
Are there any board members that have the same problems?
I also have an SW dumb solid that shows no features
Can anybody open this 1911 file in their solidworks and gart any features out of this file?
I need to know if my solidworks 2018 is corrupted in any way.
thx
Ton

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1783a3eb-285a-43d5-bad5-03a70a1b5219&file=1911A1._receiver_SLDPRT.SLDPRT
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All imported models are going to come in as dumb solid with no features at all, and there is nothing you can do about that. Like Handleman said the Feature recognition on looks for dumb geometry, like a solid extrusion or a fillet etc...

Personally, if you want features out of it you can use that part and insert it into another part and build another 1911 to match it the imported file. I have had to do that when needed features to be editable.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

handleman,
Thanks for your reply,
I was hoping by using the feature recognition i could check all feature cutout dimensions and compare to the 2D drawing i have from this frame,
Knowing that using the 2D drawing to create a good SW part is better, but i know my SW Skills will bring me far in creating a good SW 1911 grip frame,but certain features are beyond my skills.

Normally i would take my time to find out how, but a friend asked me to help him out te change this model by giving a special kind of checkering.

Besides this model i want to find out why my feature recognition is not working?
thx
Ton

Update:
I have no problem paying for 1911 / AR15 files that where completly created within Solidworks, but i have bought several files online from companies that after charging my creditcard send me imported dumb solids.
When asking about it they answer yes these are solidwork files, so what is the problem?

Feature recognition is not as smart as it is advertised.
It will recognize the most simple extrusions, holes, chamfers, etc. but that would be it.
You can also try "interactive" recognition, that is picking the features and telling SolidWorks what it is, but it could be as time-consuming and frustrating as modeling the whole thing from scratch.
Now about checking dimensions, you can try to create a drawing from the the model and dimension it. I don't know your skill level, but making views and sections when you already have the model is not extremely difficult.
Good luck!

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

How many sheets is your paper drawing of the part? Based on the model geometry, I'd guesstimate that it would take at least 2 if not 3 D-size to fully define this part. You mentioned being willing to pay... There are quite a few freelancers out there, some in low-cost countries. If your drawing actually contains sufficient detail, you could probably get someone to do the work for not so much money. Of course, that's a bit of a crap shoot too.

Analyzing dumb 3D geometry and turning it into features is really pretty dang complex. And even then, on features that it works for, it has no way to understand proper dimensions/relations to keep the design intent. I've never heard of anyone saying, "Man, that feature recognition is great! Such a time saver!".

Sorry you've had a bad experience purchasing models. I agree it's pretty crappy that they advertise dumb solids as SolidWorks files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back