SolidWorks Appearances Help Please - Mapping and Folder Assistance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahjayne

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2016
GB
Hello,

So basically I work for a company which designs and builds cupboards. We have particular textures available (i.e. different types of wood or gloss)

I was wondering if it is possible to be able to drag an appearance (a JPEG image) onto an already drawn cupboard and for the mapping to be automatic. So on the front of the cupboard the wood grain should be vertical and on the side of the cupboards it is also vertical but with plain coloured filleted edging.

Please could you help to find:

1) How to make a folder of our personal wood grains available from the SolidWorks Screen
2) How to make the mapping automatic so that when applying a certain wood grain it is always orientated in the correct direction along with the correct coloured edges.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you very much

Sarah

x

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See SolidWorks Help file for "creating custom appearance"

You need to create custom appearance files for each of the textures you want.
Edit an existing appearance and on the Color/Image tab of the Appearance Property Manager, browse to the folder where you have your JPEG image.
Once the image is loaded and you have modified the mappings, you click "Save Appearance" and give your appearance file a name and specify a save-to location.
The appearance file has a .p2m file extension and SW will ask you if to make the save to folder available from the task pane automatically. Click "Yes".

This will allow you to drag the appearance directly from the task pane onto your model.

If you get stuck, refer to the SW help file on "creating custom appearance".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back