Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks / Autocad

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1ALT

Bioengineer
May 16, 2001
US
I recently downloaded Solidworks 2009 and it included a drawing editor program. It looks and works like Autocad where you can draw / design. Does anyone know if or how Solidworks and Autocad are connected?

Also, if you remove the Solidworks program, can you keep the 'Autocad' drawing editor?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DWGEditor works whether SW is installed or not. Last I heard (about two weeks ago from VAR) is that each SW license grants 3 DWGEd licenses.

"Does anyone know if or how Solidworks and Autocad are connected?"
SW and AutoCAD are in no way connected, in fact they are strong competitors. SW is trying very hard to woo ACAD users over to SW, and Autodesk is trying very hard to retain them with Inventor.

If you purchased a licence of SW, then DWGeditor is yours to use forever.

If you downloaded the trial version of SW, then I would expect DWGeditor to quit working after the trial period. If it doesn't ... it yours to use till it does, or till SW tells you not to.

DWGeditor packaged with Solidworks is a fairly full-featured version of Cadopia Intellicad. If you're allowed to keep it after uninstalling Solidworks (I doubt this), that would be a nice gift. The retail for that is about $500. If you like DWGeditor and you don't need ACIS solids editing and raster image manipulation, there are cheaper versions of Intellicad available. Check the web for Cadopia, CMS and Progecad. There are many others.

DWGeditor can open all version of AutoCAD drawings & that is why it is included in package, once a company upgrades to SolidWorks, DWGeditor helpd them access the old data & open any new version data without paying a subscription to Autodesk.

This is designed to kill reveneus of Autodesk. SolidWorks always pitch this product as a tool to edit the legacy data.

Very clever of SolidWorks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back