Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidworks beginners class @ work 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

artnmotion

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2008
US
Hey Guys.

Looking to create my 1st training class here @ work for beginners. Just wondering for those that have gone this route, what topics do you cover?

I am thinking of the following:

[ul]
[li]SETUP of Drawing, Part and Assy templates[/li]
[li]PDMworks SETUP / Checking out and in of files[/li]
[li]Sketching (constraining sketches)[/li]
[li]Creating Parts (keep sketches simple - don't create ONE Sketch for the whole part, add fillets outside of sketch)[/li]
[li]Part Configurations and Parameters[/li]
[li]Drawing Parameters / PSEMC Standards for drawings[/li]
[li]Use of BOM's for Drawings and Assemblies[/li]
[/ul]

Anyway...just a few things I plan on going over. Any other ideas or recommendations would be helpful.

Also, are there any good beginner videos out there that cover the basics. I know I can google and i have....just wondering if you guys have any recommendations.

Thanks.

-Art
SW 2014

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If they're not experienced design engineers, I would beat into them the importance of assembly structure and good mate practice. I'm working on something right now where the guy has used a bunch of 'short-cuts' to create his drawings: his assembly structure is illogical and it's taking me much longer then expected to make changes. For example, there are sub-assemblies which don't have drawings, he's just added a note at the top level. OK, slight moan because it's on my mind... Other things that I'd tell my younger self:

[li]Think ahead. Understand what the part is going to do and how that might influence how you sketch it.[/li]
[li]Use mid planes.[/li]
[li]Make robust mates. Planes aren't always best. Again, think ahead.[/li]
[li]Name things sensibly.[/li]
[li]Each manufactured part has a drawing.[/li]
[li]Instil the revision practice you want them to use right from the start. FFF etc.[/li]
[li]Mirroring parts in an assembly and creating a config. is a dark art, especially when using sheet-metal and flat-patterns. Tread carefully![/li]
[li]In-context sketching is another powerful but dark art that can create lots of trouble down the line. Take time to learn where/where not to use it.[/li]
[li]Learn to love multi-body parts. That little 'Merge result' checkbox is important.[/li]

There are loads, but there's a few that spring to mind.

We are working on a "Best Practices" document. It might be helpful to you.
Pasted below. Tabs got eliminated.

SOLIDWORKS BEST PRACTICES

1. General:
a. Use standard templates, files, and SW settings.

2. Plan your work:
a. Where will it make sense to have the origin positioned? Having the main planes on one side of a symmetrical part just complicates using that part.
b. Build the part around features that will be important in its use or mating.
c. If a part is symmetrical, use mid-plane extrusions to keep the main planes in the center of the part.
d. If the part will have some center feature to its function, like a pivot point, build it with that pivot point at the origin.
e. Learn to use 2nd direction extrusions to keep the origin and main planes at the functional center of the part.

3. Sketches:
a. All sketches should be fully defined.
b. Apply relations and dimensions in a manner that minimizes work for future design changes.
c. Apply relations first and learn to use relations instead of dimensions where possible.

4. Extrusions:
a. Default choice for Extruded Boss: Mid-plane.
b. Default choice for Extruded Cuts : "Thru to Next"
c. Learn to extrude from "Offset". This will prevent the need for numerous additional planes.
d. Learn to use non-merged features to create multi-body parts.

5. Assemblies:
a. Do not use smart fasteners.
b. Learn standard Fastener labeling conventions.
c. Minimize number of assembly mates. Excessive or redundant mates just make assemblies unstable.
d. Learn to mate to part planes and temporary axes. For example, mating to the center of a slot.
e. Avoid using advanced mates (symmetric, width) wherever possible. Example: Width mates require massive internal calculations and lead to unstable assemblies. They can be avoided by mating to part planes or axes rather than surfaces.

6. Weldments:
a. Weldments should be parts, not assemblies.
b. Weldment drawings:
i. Use relative views to describe individual components where needed.
ii. Drawings of large weldments should show both "as welded" and "as machined" configurations.
iii. Remove tangent lines in all but 3d views.

7. Drawings:
a. Drawings should be complete, unambiguous, and as simple as possible.
b. Turn on hidden lines and tangent lines only when required.
c. Do not include unneeded views.
d. Keep fastener descriptions short and simple.
e. Place notes on the sheet, not in a view. This requires using "Lock Sheet Focus".
f. Fill in reference drawing info in title block where applicable.

I would defer configurations for a few months. New users to SW will abuse configs to no end, and other users won't notice or expect them used in such manners. The results will be messy and error filled. Same could be said for equations.

Teach that is good to rename critical default features to more functional names (Cover Mounting Boss instead of Boss-Extrude35), as it will aid others in modifying those models down the road.

I'd stress the relationships of file properties in templates, models, and drawings. Show the benefits of populating the model files with info to yield a complete drawing title block, and how editing between the file types are achieved. You should have file templates already defined prior to teaching the new users anything.

Use the Copy Settings Wizard and get everyone on the same toolbar layout and keyboard short cuts. This will help if someone (you) has to jump on another computer to assist with something.

I'd also focus in on Sketch relations and how certain parts should be modeled. The base sketch of any model can be very helpful or cumbersome, teach them how to make their sketches helpful.

If you work with large assemblies, go over component patterns and mirroring, and organization with sub-folders in the tree. Save flexible subs, configs and other advanced topics for another class down the road.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Short sessions with very specific, limited scope is the best way to get training to stick. Present a big-picture concept and develop with real-world examples.

Also, be available as a resource for questions and problems after the lessons to reinforce the new knowledge.

I don't think I'd show them how to set up templates, only how to use them. This is going on the assumption that your company has set up standard templates. My reason is simple: if they know how to change them, they will. I would save template creation for somewhere down the road, after they've learned not to mess with company standards.

You might want to download the stuff here: or, if you're not on subscription, you can download the instructors manual here:

Jeff Mirisola, CSWE
My Blog

I like to share my experience.

I am also very new and I think Experience is the most important thing.

A months before I often find a lot problems applying features like swept or Loft and thought it as Bugs which things are rare to me today!

There are also many problems like I cant do circular pattern of a body about Z axis simply. A newly defined plane has to be made or rotate the body! It feels ridiculous to me!

After all Assembly is much time consuming to me! Because I often use marginal values for a part. A little error in parts sometimes waste a lot time rebuilding it!

I think one thing that has to be beaten into new users is " Design intent" how do you want the design to flow and what happens to your part if somebody tries to change it later ?
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

I had everyone do the online tutorial first to get familiar with SW and the terms, then I was requested to teach essentials in a single day. It was not easy but it was good I only had 2 students and we were able to go through the important stuff quickly. Having a little bit of knowledge from the online stuff was helpful.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

wow, a lot of good info mentioned above, I hope To not restate anything covered above

Another basic tip to improve rebuild time, depending on the product is to keep
1. use the fillet tool on the model, leave sketches with sharp corners (keep it simple)
2. keep fillets and hardware towards the bottom of your model tree.

It allows you to suppress them easily while engaging a model. it will seed up rebuild time.
Also you will only have to handle lost ref's once

Encourage everyone to take advantage of the licensing and install SW at home.

Try to get the IT wonks to not suppress access to YouTube; many of the best demos are hosted there.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I agree with MikeHalloran's comment, but the only thing your company might want to do if they haven't already is have them sign an agreement "any designs they come up with are property of the companies". I have had to sign one for every company I have worked for. This is especially true if you build stuff they can reproduce cheaper or better than the company they are working for. Its just a good measure to protect the company that is allowing them to use the software at home.

Just a thought... kind regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back