Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks Document Management - without PDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDGroup

Mechanical
May 22, 2007
US
We have the opportunity to change the way our SW files are organized/stored and I was looking for some advice of how others have it set up. We do not want to set up PDM-Works.

What folder structures do you have set up? How well does it work?

I am considering just putting all of the SW files into one large 'released' folder, so everything is in one place. One user can have write access to ensure everything in the folder is kept properly maintained.

Currently, all the files are divided into folders by project and it doesn't work. When the same component is used in 2 or more projects, the parts are either in separate folders, or a copy is made and we have 2 or more copies of the same part, not good.
Also, when someone wants to try something new, they work in those same folders. So over time, the folders become filled with garbage files that were never used, or may not be needed.

We will only have 3 SW users, with 1 user handling ~75% of the work.

We probably have about 1000 custom parts and 1000 stock parts. There are ~10 different product lines.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"When the same component is used in 2 or more projects, the parts are either in separate folders ..."
What's wrong with that? Are your fasteners and other standard 'library' components not in separate folders?
When a project specific part becomes a common part, it can be renamed and moved to a separate "common parts" folder. The Design Library > Parts might a good place.

"... or a copy is made and we have 2 or more copies of the same part, not good."
Agreed; that is not good and is sloppy practice.

"Also, when someone wants to try something new, they work in those same folders. So over time, the folders become filled with garbage files that were never used, or may not be needed.
"

This is also a case of sloppy user practice. Even the best "Process and Procedure" package can be ignored and abused. Better training, education and knuckle rapping should be introduced.

CBL,
I agree completely with your statements: 1)A lot of this is sloppy practice, and 2) even the best 'Process and Procedure' won't prevent abuse.

However, Right now we have no documented, definitive 'Process and Procedure' of how to handle files, which is probably the real problem. No one is technically wrong in what they do.

So, Does anyone have a 'Process and Procedure' for storing SW files that keeps everything organized and controlled?
How is it set up and how has it worked out for you?

Thanks

Firstly, make sure you have a good ECR setup.

We have basically and assembly(ENG) directory and a component(CMP) directory, and some specialized types of component (gaskets, hardware etc) directories.

File names are formatted such as CMP-0001(A), drawings are kept in the same directory with the same name.

When a part is released it is copied to a released document folder. References are manually updated to match the new part revision file.

Not the best system by any means, but works for us.

A good ISO approved folder structure will go a long way to make everything easy and clean.

Just come up with something simple, easy, and consistent. The rest should fall into place. Just make sure to "police" it on occasion, and keep all of the users in line. Otherwise it will go nowhere.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

We have a folder for released drawings (both acad & sldwks), and a folder for released solidworks models that are associated with the drawings.

we then have an 'open projects' folder which there are subfolders for various projects. we copy out all the released models & drawings needed for that project.

our design flow prevents a last save wins, when puting back into the released folder

I recently changed my own method of doing things at work, but prior to the automated fitting model & drawing system I'm working on for shop drawings (lengthy name for a macro, haha), I had a folder tree setup...

I work with pipe fitting drawings, fyi...

> Engineering
>> JobFolder1
>> JobFolder2
>> JobFolder3 (... etc, etc)
>> Master Models
>>> Bevels
>>>> B16.9
>>>> CSA
>>>> Custom
>>>>> "Customer Name"
>>> Caps
>>> Concs
>>> Eccs
>>> Elbows (... etc, etc)
>>>> Sch10
>>>> Sch20
>>>> Sch40 (... etc, etc)
>>>>> elbow_1-inch.SLDPRT
>>>>> elbow_1.5-inch.SLDPRT (so on and so fourth...)

You get the picture, I'm sure. ;)

The drawback that I found with this method, was that most times customers don't know exactly what they want... So they order one thing, ask for a drawing, and then come back "Oops, that's not right! I need ____ on the bevel!"

So I found myself frequently having to change references to copies of model files, which isn't actually that difficult (but can be time consuming); and a couple of times I forgot to make a copy and modified an end prep only to go back to another drawing it had been referenced in and then having to modify that again to correct the mistake.

Something that could have been prevented if I had been more careful, which serves to prove the point others tried to make above; that a good file management process is only as good as the people using it. Little mistakes or slips can ruin it for everyone (luckily though, I'm the only person using my files...)

Now though, I've found it easier to just make copies of master models (master_tee, master_elbow, etc) and put them in the individual job folders. That way when I need to quickly change say, a taper bore, on one end prep of one drawing for one job it only takes about a minute to locate it, change it, save it, print it (or pdf it), and get it to the appropriate person. That only works for me though because I'm the only person working with the files. The tree system would certainly be more beneficial if we had more people working collaboratively on largescale projects.

Oh, last thing, to address your concern about copies being made and folders being loaded with tons of revised files... The users will just have to be more adamant about organization and keeping things up to date. Sub folders labeled "R1", "R2", etc could be of help... as well as editing those folders with an " - obsolete" tag or " - in progress" tag so that people know which files are up to date... and when everyone finally agrees on a revised edition and it's signed off on by the big cheese, simply replace the original in the original folder (back up the original just in case though).

Again, it's easier for me to do so because the only person punished by my laziness is myself... and over time, I've developed my own organizational standard to avoid things like, "Hey remember that drawing of that radius inside the so and so to see how wide the doohickey had to be? Change that radius to 32 and print me a copy..." and then not being able to find it because it was just some random thing my boss asked me for that I threw in a miscellaneous folder.

So now even the trivial drawings people ask for are accompanies by a personalized job number for that person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back