Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solidworks doesn't seem to use enough RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagetmc

Industrial
Nov 29, 2010
IE
I'm running solidworks 64bit in windows 7 64bit on a macbook pro with a core i7 processor and 8gb RAM.

I've been having trouble with two projects recently;

1. Is an assembly involving around 170 parts and the computer really slows down. When rotating the view around the assembly it jumps alot & projecting vies in a drawing of the assembly takes around 10 minutes per projection (eg. elevation, plan orthographic etc.)

2. Is a Miura-Ori Map fold assembly which consists of lots of surface parts and LOTS of mates. I can currently only get to around 36 parts before the computer seizes up.

In both cases I have gone into the task manager and checked the CPU and RAM usage which don't go above 25% and 2.3GB respectively.

I'm wondering if anyone has an answer for why solidworks wouldn't use more hardware to run properly? and if anybody know's how to solve this problem?

Thanks!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For one, SWX cannot take advantage of multiple cores directly. It will work on one core and the other cores can be doing something else. Look at your Task Manager again. Where you are reporting 25% CPU usage is that the net usage? Look at the charts for the separate cores; chances are one of them is maxed and it will be runnig SWX.

In order to reduce a lot of mates you should try to use patterns and subassemblies. You should also load your parts/assemblies Lightweight for reducing the load on the system.

Just a few tips to consider.

- - -Updraft

The i7 you have is probably a quad core, so the 25% means that one core is being fully used. For the most part, SW is single-threaded, meaning it can only use one core at a time.

What graphics card is installed?

What type of features have been used in the parts and assys?
Large patterns or helices will slow the best of computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back