Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SolidWorks drawing to DXF export problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mb17

Automotive
Mar 1, 2005
US
Hi All,

When I export a solidworks drawing as a .dxf file. The Arcs and Circles in the solidworks drawing are replaced by a series of small flats following the contour of the line. Is there anything I can do to avoid this problem?

Our CNC machines are running Mastercam 8.1 and read the .dxf files as their input.

I have heard of Mastercam direct for solidworks, does this avoid the problem?

Regards,

M-J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just a thought, it may be what you are viewing the DXFs with. I usually use ACAD to view and manipulate the DXFs.
If I don't use the "regen" command the circles will look like octagons, and they will be read that way by our machines. Use "regen" and they all turn into circles.

Do you have the module that will allow you to import an iges or Step solid file? We have MasterCAM 9 and import directly to via IGES and STeP. I have MasterCAM 8.1 on my home computer and I can open a 3D IGES File. Why waste time using an outdated Drawing Exchange Format (DXF) is my question? These are vector files made famous by AutoCAD. The Drawing Exchange Format. ASCII text file format used by AutoCAD programs as a complete representation of an AutoCAD drawing.

Best Regards,

Heckler

Do you trust you intuition or go with the flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back